Here’s all the stuff that happened while I was on blogging hiatus.
- My husband went to Japan on business, and at the end of his trip, my daughters flew out to join him in Tokyo. There are several reasons why I didn’t go too, but there’s no point getting into them. Suffice it to say that they had the time of their life anime-ing themselves up, while I manned the fort and was the sole object of affection for one large dog and one small cat.
- Don’t feel too sorry for me missing out on Tokyo because two weeks later my husband and I took a long overdue anniversary trip to Key West. There we enjoyed great food, jet skis, a sunset Rum & Reggae snorkel trip, Snuba (diving with your air supply attached to a raft), and tooling around the island on a scooter. I was a little nervous about riding on the back of this thing in traffic, but I pretended he was Riley and I was Evangeline and we were off to save Jax in The Inquisitor’s Mark. (At 30 mph, lol.)
- Speaking of Riley, I stumbled across some fan art for Riley Pendare on Deviant Art. You can check it out HERE.
- I made several school visits – real and virtual – and signed books at the Hudson Children’s Book Festival where I (briefly) met Jane Yolen and Kwame Alexander! I wish I had a picture of with them, but I don’t. You’ll just have to imagine it.
- The Eighth Day was the 3rd place winner of the 2015-2016 Sunshine State Young Readers Award. Thank you, students and teachers in Florida!
- As for writing, I revised a manuscript based on notes from my editor, almost finished the first draft of my WIP, plotted out some ideas for my next project, and jotted brief notes on a premise that came to me (but which does not have any characters or plot yet).
So what have you been up to these past few weeks?
Woot! I’m starting a new project soon too 🙂
I’m glad your girls had a good time. I would have loved to have gone to Tokyo! Sounds like you had a lot of fun in Key West though. That must have been amazing 🙂
Sounds like you’ve been busy. I’d be scared of riding the scooter. I doubt I’d be brave enough to get on it. Glad you had fun on your trip.
what new idea? Tell me more.
Awesome news about the award!
You may have missed the Tokyo trip, but the Key West trip sounded like a lot of fun.
Hi Dianne – sorry about the Japanese trip – but can see it might have added to the stress and strain of the home, book signings etc … it sounds as though your anniversary was a lovely time – lots going on … and that keeps us young at heart …
Good luck with finishing off the writing and then moving on – and enjoy the family time – then next year – coming first for the award – mind you so well done for this year .. cheers Hilary
I would have said no to Tokyo too. I hate long plane rides. Key West sounds better. At least you got a lot of writing done.
Looks like the girls had a blast! And a Key West trip sounds wonderful. And congrats on the win!
Wow, lots of awesome stuff happening with your family. It’s too bad you weren’t able to go to Japan, but in a way, it’s even cooler that the girls had that special time with their father. Before you know it, they’ll be out on their own, and this trip will be a great memory for them to cherish. And YOU had what sounds like a perfect trip to Florida. Win-win!
How cool is it that someone did fan art of Riley??? Fan art… for a character YOU created. You, my dear, have arrived. 🙂
Glad you had a nice time in Key West. I’m intrigued that you’re plotting out ideas for your next project. I’m doing that too, but it’s more like random notes.
LOVE the fan art. That’s epic! And of course Florida voted you up because this state has a great sense of value. =) And tourism.
We keep thinking we need to get down to Key West. It’s a reasonable drive, but getting away from the kids (especially the baby) doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen any time soon. Glad you had such a wonderful time while you were away!
You have been a busy bee! I’m sending out something like 500 postcards to local schools, libraries, and bookstores and preparing to get packets together with bookmarks and school visit offerings for August when my book comes out. Exhausting!!!
Nothing compared to you. I’m so jealous. hehehe
Anna from elements of emaginette
You’ve been busy! Congrats on placing third!
Sounds like things have been going well over there. ^_^ And I’m so jealous that you got fanart! Looks very cool too. I’ve never been able to draw worth anything, so I keep hoping someday someone will do stuff like that for my books.
Weird that they still put signs up, but also weird that the sign is so symmetric… Feels like this should be a story idea.