I’ve been a little ridiculously busy lately, so I haven’t been getting around to other blogs as much as I like. I tried not to miss any WRiTE CLUB rounds, but I’ve been scarce everywhere else. Here’s a little update from all the Stuff Going On:
- Report Cards and Parent Conferences – I had a ton of student work to mark in order to complete my grades, but I got it all done with time to spare and had my grades entered online a few days early. Parent conferences started last week and continued through to this Monday, which included spending two evenings at work.
- Contract – I signed my contract with HarperCollins and got all the due dates for the three books. Revisions for book one are due in a few weeks (and just like the report cards, I will consider myself “behind” if I don’t have them finished early). I don’t have any publication dates yet, but I’ll let you know when I do.
- Revisions and Outlines – I am well into my revisions for book one and also working on outlines for the other books in the series. For those of you interested in numbers, I need to take a 77k manuscript down to 65k, while still adding a few new things to it. (Cue Requiem music while I don my Grim Reaper robe and bring out my Word Scythe.)
- The Spirit Game Movie – I’m only peripherally involved in this, but it’s still very exciting. Filming for the 7-minute film short based on We Hear the Dead started Monday. I did get a chance to review the script (and suggested a line change, which they made – go me!). I’ve got some information on casting which I can’t talk about yet, but hopefully I can reveal all and share photographs very soon.
- Teaching – In spite of all the exciting happenings in my writing career, my employers, my students, and their parents still expect me to show up every day and teach for several hours. Luckily, I’m about to start my students on one of my favorite literature units (science fiction) and history units (the American Revolution), and I am also getting a kick out of reading The Eighth Day manuscript to my class. Last week I received a compliment that was better than any good review I’ve ever gotten. One of my students said, “I’d totally play this at recess.”
I am really lucky my family supports me as much as they do or I’d never be able to manage all this and I would have have vanished from the blogging scene entirely by now. My husband and daughters do SO MUCH around the house to give me time to write (and blog).
What exciting times you are leading, so congrats again – in general – and specifically for the time your family gives to you 🙂
Congrats on signing the contract! And you have a shepherd? I have two. Love them. Happy Thanksgiving!
It’s thrilling getting to follow along with you as you share in the adventures of Super Teach and the Publication Adventures. I’m very happy for you and excited. As for Sorcia and the lizards not keeping up with their end of things, well, chalk it up to animal instinct lol!!
Keep at it. I know you can do all that you set out for…and be on time by doing things early 🙂
Congratulations on that contract! You are one busy gal. And yep, tell us about those pub dates when you get them 🙂
Wow, you’re like superwoman, Dianne. I can’t believe you can balance all that and remain sane. Um, you are still sane, right? 😀
Wow! When do you find time to sleep?
Hope you can take a breather over the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂
Awesome you signed your contract and that you’re juggling things. You inspire me to think I could handle it all too if I ever get a book contract since I work full-time.
Hi Dianne .. that seems as though you’re mega busy – but pleased you’ve had time to sign the contract.
Thank goodness for family – who is doing the Thanksgiving dinner – you?!
Lizards going brown .. perhaps its hibernation mode .. and oh dear halitosis … not good!!
Cheers and enjoy Thanksgiving and family … Hilary
Congrats on signing! And cutting down those numbers-I know you can do it.
I hope you squeeze some relaxing in this weekend (at least I know you’re not hitting the crazy shopping-that could give any number of people heart attacks, or worse)
Those pesky parents, kids and co-workers! Can’t believe they expect you to do anything but write. Seriously though, congrats on all the amazing stuff happening!
CONGRATS on the contract! Happy Thanksgiving!
So thrilled for you! Keep up that balancing act! You can do it. Excited to watch all that is coming…. Bravo, my friend!
I love the line about the grim reaper with the word scythe. 🙂
So exciting that you have the book deal and the movie. Very inspiring.
This comment has been removed by the author.
From 77k to 65k. Eek!!! I’d have a heart attack. And what’s up with those brown lizards. Are you sure they’re still alive? 0.o
Wishing you oodles of luck — sounds like you need it with all you do. You must be Superwoman! 🙂
(Sorry about the re-post. Can you believe that my ancient laptop has stopped printing “6” unless I hit it real hard? And 77k to 5k just looked too weird…)